Thursday, August 18, 2011

8.17.2011

There is a tendency to forget that weather is a seasonal creature, and that a pleasant, just right August, can be an alert that winter may hit a different extreme.  We are not in San Diego; in fact we are north of Maine so November on will paint a different picture.  We are starting to double up our job with the addition of the missionary flats.  We are to inspect, fix where possible, authorize purchases - sofa - chairs - mattresses - vacuum, etc.  Last night while enjoying a late dinner, a set of Elders called to say they has just received a termination of lease notice and wondered what to do.  Creates a two fold problem: 1 - we have to find a new flat, and 2 - we have to get the present one cleaned to a much higher level than the average missionaries tolerate.  I think I am going to buy a shoehorn for every flat and insist they take their shoes off the second they walk in the door.  None of the Elders's flats I've seen or heard of so far live up to my mother's standard, and as I've told a few of them between my mother and the military you are going to be asked to clean a higher standard.  I sat down with two of them recently and used the 89th section to try to help them understand how dirt and disorder affected their spirituality - not sure that got through to them.

The walking here is great and fun.  You actually see things.  I'm used to having to drive and only see is the road in front so not being behind the wheel is a real pleasure.  Unfortunately Texas doesn't allow for a no car society, but if it did, I can promise I would be glad to do without.  Of course, gas at near $3.00 a quart is a real good reason to skip cars too, not to mention parking and a host of other fees.  I do miss Lowe's.  I don't really need anything just the pleasure of walking through, coveting a few tools and enjoying the smell of the lumber.  Every time I walk past some lumber scraps being thrown away, I want to grab them and bring them back for future use.  I did use my 3 dollar saw to cut out two additional shelves for our food storage area ( 21.5 inches across the back, sides of 21 and 14.5, and well you get the picture, I figured out an entirely new way to take measurements.

A lot of good people come in to the center plus the standard few who need a hardware store of additional bolts and nuts in their craniums.  Love working with the skilled but low on English folks from Romania, Poland, Italy, etc.  Great people who are just looking for some work stability in their lives.  They don't want to be rich just unafraid of the source for the next meal.  I worked with a brother from Romania yesterday - a highly skilled electrician.  Happily he has a work permit.  Romanians are looked down on as non workers - can't imagine how the English judge them on that score since UK welfare has created an entire nation of non-workers.  One of my many regrets is that of speaking only English.  I would at least like to know what language I am overhearing as I walk down the street.  Incidentally, Mitch - senor - the mission office mom loves the missionaries from Italy - says they have so much personality and express themselves with such humor and love.  The French are evidently a bit reserved and the Germans and related downright stoic.  We do have a sister from the US, Oregon we think, that has more than enough personality to make up for any who lack. You can hear her giggle clear across the building.

On the spiritual side, tonight is my last Institute class, we complete our six week dash through the Pearl of Great Price.  Last week we covered the creation reading from all three scripture sources with and occasional reminder of how the temple further expands our understanding.  Tonight I am going back to Abraham 1 and discussing the priesthood and foreordination, pre-earth setting apart and father's blessings.  Great group of young people, bright and well schooled.  I am really going to miss this, but perhaps I'll be able to do it again at some point.

Love you, one and all.  I don't know what blessings you will accrue by our being here, but it is great to be even a very small part of the Church's effort to save both spiritually and temporally.  Brigham Young would have given his total approval.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment