A good week for us. Some people helped, some interesting data from Kew, a missionaries bed put back into sleeping order, a good but goofy young adult 'talent' show, and a presentation today to a ward way south as to what the Employment Centre - where ever it may be - can do for ward members. In order:
We are getting creative, try writing a CV/resume for someone with zero job experience - each of us did one this week. We are saving samples for next time.
Kew - the family history centre. It is 49 stair steps up and 49 down when you go down stairs to pick up films for someone. I have been searching for more family data on a downline of the Patterson family. Part of the process has been reviewing old newspaper gossip columns from upper state New York in the 1930's and 40's. It is like being back in Bear Lake and reading about who had company on Sunday and where so and so went to shop for school cloths. In the process I came across a thought provoking item. It seem the owner of the pharmacy in Essex, New York is also the owner of the local funeral home and of the ambulance service. So imagine he is taking someone to the hospital, consider the conflict of interest; do I hurry them to the hospital so they can be saved; do I slow down so they stay sick longer and I sell more drugs; do I stop all together and let them die and make big bucks off the funeral. Not sure I would want him taking me to the hospital. Second problem: did he use the same vehicle for both hearse and ambulance and just switch flags. Can't help but wonder. But here is the sad topper. He was taking a heart attack victim to the hospital, got him there; only to have a heart attack himself. The article wasn't sure if either of them would make it. Irony.
The missionaries had somehow broken a bed apart instead of taking it apart. Not sure how that was done, but I gave it a short-term fix with screws replacing the dowels. I did whittle one dowel out of the handle of a wooden spoon. They don't happen to make them the right size. This is the third bed I've had to repair and put back together.
Saturday night the young adults put on a talent show which was a mixture of talent and goofiness. There is a lot of talent in the group, and admittedly I enjoyed the talent most.
The ward we visited today is only 17 miles away, but the drive took over an hour. London traffic even on Sunday is a mess. Stop go, stop go, and then do a round-about and another and another, and if we are really lucky, we catch the right exit. Joyce is an excellent driver, but on roads designed for a horse and carriage side by side and not cars plus four buses in a row and three big trucks - well it is a designed mess and muddle as they would say here. Still we survive.
Weather great though the cool is coming, and we can feel it. Happily I bought a new, heavy short coat for a magnificent 13 pounds. Crazy store, great stuff, and absolutely wild shoppers. One lady, stood right in the aisle and took off her shirt so she could try something on - not quite ready for that.
Well all is well in this part of Zion and little by little we are learning our purposes and reasons for being here. The gospel is true and the Apostle who sent us here did know what he was doing.
We are getting creative, try writing a CV/resume for someone with zero job experience - each of us did one this week. We are saving samples for next time.
Kew - the family history centre. It is 49 stair steps up and 49 down when you go down stairs to pick up films for someone. I have been searching for more family data on a downline of the Patterson family. Part of the process has been reviewing old newspaper gossip columns from upper state New York in the 1930's and 40's. It is like being back in Bear Lake and reading about who had company on Sunday and where so and so went to shop for school cloths. In the process I came across a thought provoking item. It seem the owner of the pharmacy in Essex, New York is also the owner of the local funeral home and of the ambulance service. So imagine he is taking someone to the hospital, consider the conflict of interest; do I hurry them to the hospital so they can be saved; do I slow down so they stay sick longer and I sell more drugs; do I stop all together and let them die and make big bucks off the funeral. Not sure I would want him taking me to the hospital. Second problem: did he use the same vehicle for both hearse and ambulance and just switch flags. Can't help but wonder. But here is the sad topper. He was taking a heart attack victim to the hospital, got him there; only to have a heart attack himself. The article wasn't sure if either of them would make it. Irony.
The missionaries had somehow broken a bed apart instead of taking it apart. Not sure how that was done, but I gave it a short-term fix with screws replacing the dowels. I did whittle one dowel out of the handle of a wooden spoon. They don't happen to make them the right size. This is the third bed I've had to repair and put back together.
Saturday night the young adults put on a talent show which was a mixture of talent and goofiness. There is a lot of talent in the group, and admittedly I enjoyed the talent most.
The ward we visited today is only 17 miles away, but the drive took over an hour. London traffic even on Sunday is a mess. Stop go, stop go, and then do a round-about and another and another, and if we are really lucky, we catch the right exit. Joyce is an excellent driver, but on roads designed for a horse and carriage side by side and not cars plus four buses in a row and three big trucks - well it is a designed mess and muddle as they would say here. Still we survive.
Weather great though the cool is coming, and we can feel it. Happily I bought a new, heavy short coat for a magnificent 13 pounds. Crazy store, great stuff, and absolutely wild shoppers. One lady, stood right in the aisle and took off her shirt so she could try something on - not quite ready for that.
Well all is well in this part of Zion and little by little we are learning our purposes and reasons for being here. The gospel is true and the Apostle who sent us here did know what he was doing.
Love, Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment